Nobody wants to be in a car accident.
It’s the kind of thing people don’t think about. They assume it will only happen to other people. Because you’re holding the wheel, pressing the accelerator, and deciding which way you’ll go, the assumption is that you’ll be okay.
But every once in a while, you’re not. And when it does happen, if you’re not ready, then you’ll be in a much worse position than had you gotten prepared.
A membership with AAA is incredibly handy when you need a lift, under any circumstances. The police only need to be called if the accident is more than a fender bender, equaling estimated damages of more than $500 dollars, or when someone is injured.
To Police Or Not
If you would like to get a police report then you’ll need to bring extra information. The kind that they would have gotten themselves had they arrived at the scene. If police don’t come you may be required to report the accident if the damage was high. It’s also important to have the official corroboration if you or the other driver decide to sue for damages, or if days later you discover that there is actually more damage than initially thought.
What you’ll need to bring to the police station:
• The names and insurance details of all of the drivers who were in the accident.
• You’ll also want to get the names and phone numbers of anyone who saw the crash.
• And pictures of the vehicles at the scene.
The names and insurance details of all of the drivers who were in the accident. You’ll also want to get the names and phone numbers of anyone who saw the crash, and pictures of the vehicles at the scene.
What’s in an accident? Whatever you take with you, and here are some of the items you won’t want to be without:
• Phone – if you need to get help for someone who is injured, call 911. You can also get a tow truck, and call your insurance company, who will begin the process of filing your claim.
• License and Registration – you’ve got this anyway, right? If the accident is big enough, it’s what the police are going to want to see, so it’s best to drive with it all the time.
• Insurance – this is possibly the most important thing you’ll need – it’s going to help you pay for the accident.
• Camera – use this to take photographs of the accident scene. You can record the license plates, the position of the cars, and the road conditions to prove your side of the story.