Tips For For Performing Safe Summer Workouts
Sometimes the cooler months can force us indoors to participate in workout routines, but once summer rolls around there is more opportunity to get outside and enjoy the nice weather while working out. With the summer comes the heat, and our College Park chiropractors want to help keep you safe out there when the heat rises.
Avoid Heat Stroke and Other Health Threats
- Always stay hydrated! When working out outside carry a water bottle with you so that you can keep yourself hydrated throughout the duration of your workout.
- When outside always remember to apply sunscreen, at minimum SPF 30. As you will be working out, look into sunscreen that may be waterproof or even sweat proof to ensure that sunscreen is working at its full potential.
- When working out outside, plan to go out in the early morning hours or later in the evening when the sun is not as hot.
- When choosing your attire, pick something that is of breathable material and loose fitting. Wearing tight fitted clothing can make your body temperature rise, so choose materials like cotton that hang looser off your body so that your body stays cooler.
- If your favorite activities include walking or running, try to find trails that are more shaded to protect you from the sun as well as keeping you cool. Try to find something close to home so you can help yourself stick to your workout goals.
- Minimize your caffeine intake. Drinking heavy amounts of caffeine before working out in the heat can cause you to have increase fluid loss. Sports drinks may also sound like a good alternative but they are packed with sugars that can lead to muscles cramps, so it’s better to try drinks like all natural juices or coconut water if plain water isn’t your cup of tea.
By following these guidelines, you can protect yourself against heat stroke or dehydration. If you are looking for other helpful tips to keep you safe in the heat this summer, contact our College Park chiropractors at (404) 592-0319 for more information.