(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start': new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0], j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src= 'https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f); })(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-WPBGDD');

How to Find a Doctor After a Car Accident

Nov 25, 2020

How to Find a Doctor After a Car AccidentBeing in a car accident can be scary in a number of ways. Not only do you have to deal with police reports, insurance, and possibly lawyers, but it can be emotionally draining as well. On top of all of that, you may have car accident injuries that need to be tended to as a result of the crash. When this happens, you want to ensure you are receiving not only high quality care, but the proper kind for your injury. Visiting a College Park chiropractor can often help you to get the treatment you need and determine next steps, but if you aren’t sure where to start, this guide offers tips to help you get the care you need.

When to Use the Emergency Room

Typically after an accident, first responders will be called to the scene. They will evaluate you and all other parties for any serious injuries or take you to the hospital via ambulance when the crash was obviously severe. You may be a bit shocked from the events of the accident and not be feeling symptoms yet, but you should listen if you are told you need to be transported.

But if they are not called or you are not displaying symptoms while they’re present, you may wonder if you need to go to the emergency room later. You may be having delayed symptoms. If you begin to experience severe pain, shortness of breath, weakness, or dizziness following a car accident, this is a sign you should seek urgent care. Profuse bleeding, deep cuts, broken bones, and a loss of consciousness are also good signs you should be taken to the emergency room.

When to See Your Primary Care Physician

Typically, it is not recommended to see your PCP to treat injuries related to a car accident. They tend to specialize more in internal medicine than acute injuries, and will likely send you to a specialist anyway. But if you are more comfortable with your PCP, or you are required to get a referral before visiting a specialist, they can be a good place to start. Your PCP may be able to identify the general root cause of any symptoms or identify the type of treatment you need going forward.

Types of Specialists for Car Accident Injuries

While many car accidents result in the same injuries, the category itself is actually very broad, and different physicians may be needed for different conditions. These doctors can work together to create a comprehensive treatment plan that addresses all injuries holistically, rather than piecing together your recovery.

A College Park chiropractor is likely the first place you may be sent after an accident. Because chiropractors work with natural methods to treat musculoskeletal issues, they are able to address a large number of common injuries such as whiplash. Where more medical intervention is needed, your chiropractor may work with orthopedic surgeons who can repair bones, or neurologists who specialize in the nerves.

You may also seek the care of an Atlanta physical therapist and pain management specialist to make recovery less painful and more efficient. Typically the answer is not just one of these specialists, but a combination that is built specifically around your injury and treatment plan.

In more emergent situations, you may also work with an emergency room physician, trauma surgeon, burn specialists, or additional hospital staff.

Why See an Accident Specialist

A specialist is able to identify or rule out specific injuries and conditions, whether they were asked to by your PCP or it is because of their experience in a particular field. In the case of an accident specialist, their expertise lies with people in the same circumstances as you. This means they are able to better diagnose your condition and determine a treatment plan that is matched to your exact injuries and the optimal treatment plan.

In addition to knowing you to treat accident victims, an accident specialist is also knowledgeable in working with third parties like insurance companies and lawyers. They typically keep the type of thorough records required for a personal injury claim and are familiar with the billing process when insurance claims are involved. This can help make your recovery smoother mentally as well, as you can trust that all your paperwork is being taken care of properly.

At AICA College Park, our team consists of a variety of specialists, all dedicated to treating those who have been involved in car accidents. If you have been in an accident and need a College park chiropractor, orthopedist, or a general evaluation, contact AICA College Park today to set up your first evaluation.


Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.